Wednesday, April 30, 2014

How Singing To Jesus Saved A Town

  After watching an interview of a little boy who was kidnapped in Atlanta, Georgia, I remembered a lesson I learned when I first became a Christian.  Praise God No Matter, Whatever the situation is!  Willie, a 9 year old boy was kidnapped and sung the song "Every Praise" the whole time.  After about 3 hours of singing praises to God, the kidnapper let the boy free.  I remember when I learned that very lesson, It was Memorial Day 2004.
My husband at the time, knocked on my door high, drunk and very angry.  He felt that I was being unfair because I would spend time with his cousin and her husband who would drink a beer or two sometimes in the evenings after work, but I would not allow him to be around our son because of his drug addiction.  He could not see the difference in the two.  He punched me in the head couple of times and then he wrapped his hands around my throat and began to choke me over the back of the couch. I couldn't breathe and I could feel my self start to fade. It was then that I remembered my Pastor saying Praise God in the storm, no matter how it looks, always give him the glory.  With every thing left in me I said "I Love You Jesus" and he let go of my neck and went to go find  Christopher.  Thank God he went to long way to the room Christopher was in because I went the short way, I grabbed his hand and we ran out of the house and up the street to get help from a neighbor.
  So you are probably wondering how on earth does singing to Jesus save a town?  After watching the interview with Willie,  Jena comes home from school and I tell her about the boy.  I told her that if she was ever in a scary situation to sing to Jesus and He would help her.  Now I know this probably sound quite hokey, like its a nice thing to say to a kid to help calm them down. But it works, it really does!
  Sunday morning roles around and the news is talking about possible tornadoes, I get a feeling that we are going to have a tornado here.  The feeling wasn't like a scared freak out kinda feeling, it was a peaceful knowing. It was like God saying, There is going to be a tornado and I will be with you.  So we went to church.  After church, just as we were puling into the drive my phone alerted that we were under a Tornado Warning and to seek cover immediately.  I asked my Ernie, who was outside painting where were we going because we live in a Mobile Home.  He said he would stay home, he wasn't scared. I grabbed a sandwich (I didn't want to be hungry and homeless) and went to a friends house.  We were waiting for sirens to go off to head to the basement, but they never did.  The front door flew open and we knew it was time.  The only entrance to the basement is a cellar door entrance outside, as we made our way to the basement the wind was very strong and it began to rain really big drops.  We made it safely into the basement and Jena, She was terrified(so was I).  I wanted Jena to rely on her training so I asked her "Jena what do you do in a Tornado?" She replied "cover my head". So she crouched down and covered her head.  She was so scared, I told her "Remember when you are scared to sing to Jesus, he will help you." She began singing "We Believe" a song we just sang in church. I  remembered that I had my ipod with me so I turned on some Christian music and she sang along to it.  Soon we received an all clear from the radio we had on and we went home.  There was some damage on the street we were on but nothing too horrible.
   Tuesday evening I go into our local store where my friend Sheryl works, it was her basement we took refuse in.  She told me that there was a Tornado in our town and it was spotted one street over.  We live two blocks apart with one street between, the street the tornado was spotted on. The tornado never touched down in town.  All thanks to one little girl who sang songs to Jesus.
  Believe it or not, but I know that God is faithful to the Faithful!  There is no better way to defeat the devil than to praise God, No Matter What!


No comments:

Post a Comment